Life at the Johnson house has been a bit crazy these last few days to say the least. Trent and Cade were sick all last week. Trent was having strange stomach pains but not bad enough for any alarm. Saturday Trent went to the Green River to go fishing with some friends. His stomach hurt a bit Sunday but was fine for our Super Bowl party. Then it his Sunday night......
Trent went to bed with a terrible stomach ache and woke up around 2am and was violently sick. This went on until morning when we were finally able to get it under control enough for him to go to the doctor. He found out that he had contracted Giardia. The doctor thinks that he had some stomach flu last week but then contracted the Giardia from his fishing trip. He got put on some antibiotics and we thought all would be well. We were WRONG!
Early Tuesday morning, I woke up around 4am to find Trent getting dressed. I asked him what he was doing and he told me he had been having severe chest pain all night and that he was going to the ER. Being so early in the morning we decided I would stay with the boys and he would drive himself. (which is the dumbest decision we have ever made because something terrible could have happened).
The ER doc. performed a ECG on Trent and determined that the chest pains were probably due to being so dehydrated from the Giardia. He then went on to tell Trent that even though the chest pain was an easy fix (getting IV fluids) They did find something troubling on his ECG.
Trent calls me to tell me that they believe he has a syndrome called Wollf-Parkinson-White and that the only fix is surgery. I took the boys to my moms then rush to the hospital to be with Trent.
The ER doc sent us to a Cardiac specialist at the hospital and tells us that although the pain wasn't from the syndrome, he is very lucky he came in and that they caught it. At the Cardiac office Trent did a stress ECG on the treadmill and they did two ultrasounds of his heart. We then met with the doctor so he could explain everything to us.
WPW syndrome is something Trent was born with. Our hearts have an electric current going through it regulating the heart beats. In Trents heart he has two which makes it have extra beats. He may have gone his whole live not knowing he had it but it can cause fainting, dizziness, heart pounding, and rarely cardiac arrest.
Treatment: Trent now has to wear a heart moniter for one month to moniter any arrythmias he may have. At the end of the month he will most likely have a small surgery to repair his heart. They tell us that the surgery has a 99% success rate and he will be back to work in just a few days. Not as scary as we had thought :)
This event has made me so grateful to our Heavenly Father for the many blessings in our lives. I am so glad Trent went to the ER because other wise we may never have known. I want my husband to know how much I love him and how lost I would be with out him. He is my best friend and my whole world.
7 comments:
Oh my gosh! Lindsie and trent, You must feel so blessed that Trent came down with Giardia! I know that sounds lame, but I mean, without that, you may never have found this out! Please let me know if I can do anything for you or take the boys or whatever... We love you guys! Trent, take it easy!
I am so glad that they found this potentially dangerous problem. I feel terrible not knowing he had something, but I never had him have an ekg--anyways I am glad it is being watched and that they can correct it. I am sorry I was so far away when you needed help...I love you guys-keep me up on how it is going!!!
Johnson Family, Just found out... so sorry to hear about it. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help out. I will even take the boys need be..... You guys will be in our thoughts and prayers. Love you lots
WOW! I hope everthing will be okay! you should have called me I was probably awake I could have watched the boys. If he ever needs to go back to the ER PLEASE CALL!!!!!!! We love you guys and hope all is well
That is scary! I hope he gets feeling better soon. We'll pray for his health!
Ahh how scary! We'll keep you guys in our prayers.
Hi! Johnson Family, Brandi told me about trent so I decided to get on your blog and tell you that about 10 years ago I was told I had wolf parkinson white syndrome, My heart kept beating very fast off and on and one day it wouldnt qiut so I went to the er and they done a ekg and then told me what I had. I had it fixed at LDS Hospital. I went as a out patient,It was kinda scary it didnt hurt and they kept me a wake while they did the procedure. They go up through your leg and into your heart and zap the electrical current. If you want to talk to me give me a call 253-8627 or email me at vlgrundy@hotmail.com they might do things different now than they did 10 years ago, but they told me it was not life threatening so that made me feel better but it was something I should have fixed. I have been thinking about you guys alot so I hope you dont mind I left this message on your blog. You have a really cute family. I still work at legacy house of south jordan,7 years now. let me know what is happening! Love Vicki Grundy
Post a Comment